Friday, November 21, 2008

Pomegranate glaze

This recipe is from the cookbook Jody gave me. Start with 1/2 cup red wine, a bay leaf, 1 chopt spring onion and 6 peppercorns and simmer that. It should reduce by 1/2. Meanwhile (and it takes a long while), take about 1/2 of the seeds from a pomegranate, mix them with 1/4 c water in a mug, and smush them. When the wine has reduced, force the smushings through a sieve. (Today I bought some Pom pomegranate juice to finesse this step in the future.) Add 1 Tablespoon roasted almond oil (the recipe calls for melted butter), 1 t. maple syrup and 1/8 t. salt. Mix 1 t. arrowroot into 1/4 c. cold water. Add that to the mixture and stir for a few minutes until the mixture clears. Hope that the mixture thickens. It might not, because mine didn't. But next time I'll try cornstarch, or more arrowroot. It really tasted nice on salmon.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

Did you marinate the salmon in the sauce or did you put it on right before you broiled it?
Sounds delicious!

Robin said...

Aha! I think you'll get to sample it at T'giving. Not proposed iin the recipe as a marinade, although with the wine base I suppose it could be. Rather, with better thickening, it would really be a pretty glaze. I forgot to add that you are supposed to sprinkle pomegranate seeds on top. I tend to forget that part (witness the little piles of coriander always left on the counter after I broil the yogurt-coated halibut).

Robin said...

I didn't completely answer your question: I broiled, then glazed. I think with the turkey, which I intend to do with a persimmon glaze if I can lay my hands on persimmons (failed to do so at Whole Foods yesterday), I will try putting the turkey back into the oven briefly after glazing it. Though I'm not sure why that's necessary; it might just make the glaze drool off the bird. WHile baking it I'll coat it with drippings to keep the skin moist, so I don't think I'd need to use the glaze to serve that end.

Jody said...

Looks delicious, and persimmon glazed turkey sounds AWESOME! I wish I were going to be there. I could mail you persimmons, if necessary. I just went to the farmers market to buy some persimmons and asian pears for myself and to mail to Libby (apparently there is quite a dearth in the midwest and I want to surprise her). Sadly, you can't really mail ripe hayachis, only the crisp fuyus. Not to further my reputation as a california snob, but it is persimmon season out here and they are everwhere! Along with pomegranates. Ah, produce.