Sunday, February 8, 2009

Citrus glazed tempeh

This recipe is a riff on an orange glazed tempeh recipe I saw on 101 cookbooks, modified to fit the ingredients I had around.

For the glaze:
1 C grapefruit juice
2 T agave nectar or honey
1.5 T sake or mirin
2 t soy sauce
1 T grated ginger
2 minced cloves of garlic
1/2 teaspoon cumin or ground coriander (it called for ground coriander, which I didn't have, but I had the vague notion that cumin was the same thing... was I right? I any case, it worked out okay).

Mix all the ingredients for the glaze together in a bowl. Heat some olive oil at medium high in a large skillet. Cut 8 - 10 oz of tempeh up - I like to cut three squares, then cut those into 6 triangles, then cut each triangle in half down the middle (making them thinner). Cook the tempeh for 5 min on each side, till its golden. Pour on the glaze and cook for 10 mins more until its very reduced. I threw in some tangelo slices towards the end. Right before you remove it from the heat, squeeze on half a lime. 
I served this with wild rice and broccoli. Oliver, once a notorious tempeh hater, even went back for seconds!
It was a very nice Friday night dinner at home. We had a bottle of Reisling to go with it. Unfortunately, I think I must cut back on cooking nice dinners for at least a week or so. I have a lot of lab work going on and I expect I will need to work late. Some nights, I just want to cook so badly I wait to have dinner until I get home at like 11, but eating after midnight is kind of hard on my system and I'm trying not to do it so much.
It was great talking to you guys last night! Sorry I missed the Italian oven and the Jolleys. I'd love to see some pictures of Marcella.

No comments: