Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Tres Leches Cake!

Tres Leches Cake was one of my favorite dishes made at Terrace. For those unlucky few who have not tasted this delectable concoction, Tres Leches Cake is a moist, sweet, milky Mexican dessert. Terrace's mostly Hispanic kitchen staff made it on a regular basis and, whenever I saw it set out in the dining room, I would get almost as excited as I did on lasagna night (almost.) I made my first attempt at it tonight for dinner with my roommates, which was quite the feast. Tash made peanut noodles, Alisa a spicy catfish stew, and Jenny vegetarian lasagna. I googled the recipe and got this one off of about.com:

http://mexicanfood.about.com/od/sweetsanddesserts/r/treslechescake.htm

It turned out really well! I topped it with whipped cream and cinnamon. I bet strawberries would be amazing.

1 comment:

Jody said...

I've never heard of that before, but it looks delicious! Sounds like you guys had a good dinner.
Something I see around here a lot are "dulce leches" cookies - they are cookie sandwiches featuring really buttery cookies with caramel in between them, all dusted in powdered sugar. Another yay area find is the "choco taco". Its a waffle cone shaped like a taco and filled with icecream and then entirely coated with chocolate. I don't know that this was actually invented in Mexico, I assume it is just a salute to the culture. I had a friend who one ate mile 16 of an 18 mile training run and managed not to puke. I was very impressed.