Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Butternut squash and chickpeas


This from Laura, our admin wizard in tax clinic, with some modifications.
  • 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch dice. I microwaved mine for several minutes to make it easier to peel. It's important to get all of the threads out - - otherwise they shrivel and burn in the oven - - mildly tasty, but ugly.
  • maybe 8 oz, or half a bag, of chickpeas, soaked to swell then cooked completely (maybe 1 hour) in veg stock,
  • combined with 1/4 c. olive oil, 1 T. curry (I used some leftover homemada masala mix, and it wasn't strong enough), 1/4 t. cayenne, salt and pepper. I later used 1 kernel allspice, 1 tsp roasted cumin, 1 tsp coriander, some nutmeg and 1/2 t. red pepper.
Spread that mix on a baking sheet, pour on some of the chicken stock used in cooking the chickpeas, and roast in 375 oven for 1 hour, or until tender.
Mix 2 c yogurt, 1/2 c chopt cilantro and juice of 1/2 lemon. Drizzle it over the cooked vegetables.

This dish could take all sorts of spicing.

The creation pictured is Suzanne's. Instructions on how to post the photo were, also, courtesy of Suzanne.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

This sounds really good! I've been really in to butternut squash lately.

Jody said...

Yes, that sounds amazing! Will you make it for me when I come home?
I've been getting lots of butternut squash in my farm box. Also delicata squash, and at the bowl last week I bought Kabocha squash and Acorn squash. Definitely on a squash kick.

Robin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robin said...

Sorry about that last mysterious comment! If you go back to check the post mid-comment, the comment is closed & you can't pick up mid-sentence. Anyway, I made this with acorn squash, which, while softer (especially since I roasted it separately first), was tasty. I will keep upping the ante on the paprika.