Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Adventures in squash

I have been on a bit of a winter squash kick of late. Branching out from the traditional butternut and acorn squash, I have tried delicata, kombucha and buttercup squashes. This week I add two more to the list: red kuri and sweet dumpling. I tried the red kuri last night. Its more like a traditional pumpkin then kombucha, but still quite different. It isn't as sweet as an acorn squash and it has a nice nuttiness to it. Kind of hard to describe. The flesh was a vibrant orange-red and it was totally roasted after an hour. I just ate it plain this time but next time I'm going to try making a soup! It would also probably make great pie. I will let you know how the sweet dumpling compares. So far, my favorite new squash is the buttercup. I think it is the cupcake of the squash world.
Next on the list: spaghetti squash.

1 comment:

Robin said...

And what did you do with the buttercup? It's marvelous how they caramelize - - I'd never known that until I tried your recipe for acorn squash stuffed w/ rice and other vegs.