Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Roasted butternut squash salad (or: finally, Suzanne posts something healthy)

Ok, one more post. When it rains, it pours, right?

Chop butternut squash into 1/2" cubes. Toss lightly with EVOO, salt, white pepper, and rosemary. Roast at 350 until the cubes are very soft and caramelized, ~30 minutes. Serve over lettuce with toasted sunflower seeds and balsamic vinegar. Great with hot or cooled squash.

This recipe is pretty basic, but it was just so delicious I had to share! It's pictured here with a mole burrito concoction that wasn't very tasty, despite the fact that it allowed chocolate to masquerade as an appropriate entree ingredient.

4 comments:

Jody said...

We are so cosmically connected. I made mole for the first time this week. Mine was really good, though. It was based on a recipe from my farm box. It had Pinto beans, butternut squash and leeks in it, along with the tomatoes, chocolate, almonds and spices. Maybe I'll post the recipe.

Suzanne said...

oo please do!

Robin said...

Hey! post that mole recipe!
Intriguing idea of a cosmic connection where one mole is "not very tasty" and the other is "really good." Thus perhaps when one of you does sthg that has unfortunate results, perhaps the other can try the same thing, confident of great success.

Robin said...

I made the butternut squash salad for the van Landinghams last night. Lacking salad greens, I used as the bottom layer thin (too thin) slices from a very large tomato from Suzanne's garden, which I had earlier broiled atop chicken breasts. Beneath the top sunflower seed layer I placed slices of her green zebra tomatoes, raw. She had wanted me to use them quickly since they had Hope-sized toothmarks on them.