Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Vindaloo Veggies

I've tried making all kinds of Indian dishes this year. Surprisingly, this one adapted from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker, a non-Indian book, has been the best! I think it would be really easy to adapt to the stovetop--just simmer on the stovetop ~30 min rather than using the slow cooker. The vindaloo sauce could really be used with any combination of veggies or, dare I saw it, meat, as well.

Stir together 1T oil, 1T minced ginger, 3 cloves garlic minced, 1t lt brown sugar, 1t ground coriander, 1/2t ground cumin, squirt of mustard (or 1/2t dry mustard), 3/4t cayenne, 1/2t turmeric, 1T white vinegar.

Heat 1T oil in skillet over med hi heat. Add 1 lg yellow onion chopt and 2 thinly sliced small carrots and cover. Cook until veggies are soft.

Transfer onions and carrots to slow cooker and turn it on lo. Add spice paste & cook, stirring, ~1 min.

Add ~2 handfuls pepper slices (or 1 sliced pepper), ~2c cauliflower florets (~1/2 cauliflower), 2 partially cooked diced potatoes (~5 min in microwave), 1.5c kidney beans (.5c dry or 1 15.5 oz can), 1/2c green peas, 1 lg can tomato sauce (~1.75c). Season w/ salt 'n' pepper.

Cook 6h on low.

I ate it with a rice pilaf similar to the one I described in my recent post about California--onion, raisin, diced tomatoes, cumin, cinnamon, (just a dash) of white pepper, and salt. I made a cauliflower, tofu, and green bean curry the night before, so I've been having the three dishes together all week. Mmmmmmm.

No comments: