Saturday, January 8, 2011

Friday Feast: Roasted Pear and Butternut Salad

Suzanne and Michael joined us for dinner on Jan 7. We ate More Mole (previous post), salmon from Suzanne's Indian cookbook, and a salad of mache topped with roasted pear and butternut squash, with a pear vinaigrette. Enough for the 4 of us came from

- - 10 oz package of frozen butternut squash cubes
- - 3 pears (I used d'Anjou, but the recipe called for Bartlett), peeled, halved and cored

I added a little oil to the squash cubes and roasted those plus the pear halves, turned upside down, in a 350 oven for 1/2 hour. Then I turned the pears over and roasted another 10 min until it was all a little brown.

One pear half went into the blender with 2 T. cider vinegar and 1T. honey and some pepper. You can add 1 T. oil.

The trick was how to split the remaining 5 pear halves among the 4 plates.

2 comments:

Jody said...

Yum! I think the last thing I really cooked was a butternut pear soup. That was back in 2010. Wait, do freezer waffles count?

Robin said...

Butternut pear soup! Did you post it? 2010 wasn't so long ago; I've barely gotten used to writing checks with 2011.