Monday, June 11, 2012

Mexican Fiesta, Part Quatro: Huevos Rancheros

Today, I will share with you my favorite dish of that weekend of Mexican delights. On Sunday morning, we made huevos rancheros. I love this dish. It would be a perfect follow-up if you had too much tequila with your Mexican feast on Saturday.

I did not have huevos rancheros until our trip to Mexico last year. Yes, it took me until age 25! You might be surprised to learn that Northern Virginia is not known for the quality and variety of its Mexican cuisine.

Huevos in Mexico. With agua di pina.


It has that perfect combination of spicy, crunchy, and creamy. I love how it looks perfect on your plate and then the moment you touch it with your fork the egg yolk explodes all over everything.

Here's my take. All ingredient values are per person:

Huevos Rancheros
Turn on your oven's broiler.
Brush two corn tortillas with EVOO. Place under broiler for 2-3 minutes, or until crispy but not burnt.
Meanwhile, fry two eggs over medium-high heat.
Heat a generous scoop of black beans in the microwave.
Place the crispy tortillas on a plate. Top with your two eggs, the beans, a big spoonful of salsa, a few slices of avocado, and some grated cheddar.
Huevos in Baltimore.

No comments: