Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Agua de Sandia

When M and I visited Mexico a few years ago, we loved getting agua fresca. This translates to "fresh water" and refers to a blend of fresh fruit, water, and sometimes ice. My favorite was agua de sandia, or watermelon water. It is a perfect treat for a hot summer evening! I had forgotten about it for a while, but saw it again in a Whole Foods earlier this summer and decided I had to make it. It turned out really well! It turned out even better the second time I made it, when I added rum (of course).

Agua de Sandia (virgin)
Serves 2
Fill blender with chunks of watermelon (seedless or seeded) up to the 5 cup measure
Add the juice of 1 lime
Add 1/2 cup cold water or rum (do the rum.... trust me)
Pack the rest of the blender with ice (about 2 handfuls)
Blend until there are no more big chunks.
Garnish with a sprig of mint.



Enjoy!

As I sipped it, it separated into the prettiest layers of translucent orange and opaque pink.

Will post a picture soon.

No comments: