Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Even Cod is interesting when doing social distancing

from a tattered and untitled Post clipping, tucked deep into my notebook:

Multiply for number of eaters:

8 oz cod (serves two, barely) - - mine was fresh that day from Whole Foods; when I cook the other half, I'll firm it in 15 min of ice water, with a little salt and 1 tsp vinegar or lemon juice.

place in the bottom of a small saucepan:
  • 1 cinnamon stick, broken into a few pieces
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 5 slightly crushed black peppercorns
  • 1/4 tsp cardamom seed (recipe called for 1 pod, crushed)
  • 1/2 tsp anise seed (recipe called for 1 star anise)
add enough vegetable stock to cover your fish (which isn't added yet) and bring to a boil.  Then add the fish, leave the lid off, and turn off the heat.  The fish should be cooked in 20 min.  Next time I might leave the pot on very low - - I thought the fish not hot enough for my taste, but at least it was cooked.  Or I will reheat the broth before pouring it over the fish.

No comments: