Thursday, July 24, 2008

Desperation Chicken

With thanks and apologies to Jody's Improv Chicken. I had chicken breasts in the freezer and canned tomato in the pantry, so I figured I could pull off a cheap imitation.

As did Jody, pound the breasts (not to worry, chickens aren't mammals, now, are they?)
Brown them (ouch) w/ ground pepper& snips of dried hot pepper.
Sautee 1 onion, chopt, 1/2 ragged green pepper found at back of vegetable drawer, sliced, and 1 clove garlic, minced.
Remove from pan and save for topping after all else is cooked.
Add to pan 1 can diced tomato and boil down for 5 min. Add the chix and cook on low for 10 min or so, till chix seem done.
Put in the chiffonaded basil and rosemary (which we had in abundance!) for the last minute.
(No cheap white wine in the house but can had lotsa tomato juice)
Cross fingers.

2 comments:

Jody said...

Sounds good! How'd it turn out? I bet it would be good with parmesean, too.

Robin said...

Hmm. I don't put cheese in dishes for Reeves (although I did divide the pesto tonight & added parm for me). IT was pretty good. As you suggested, I put in alot of basil, which was really nice, of course, with the tomato. I didn't notice the red pepper all that much, so I must have kept it under control. Had it with AliceWaters's citrus risotto. THanks so much for posting the recipe. Overall, I really liked it.
Love,
Mom