Monday, June 21, 2010

Neatloaf

I just made this tasty tasty neatloaf, aka vegetarian meatloaf. It was amaaaaaazing! Michael says it could pass for "the type of cheap meat loaf where you can't really tell what type of meat is in there." I think it was far superior fare.

The recipe was inspired by the neatloaf served at Ananda Fuara, a vegetarian restaurant in San Francisco that I love. This group (cult?) cooks communally and all of the waiters at the restaurant have a creepy vacant look. They make fantastic food, however, so can't be doing all bad.

The only thing I would change next time is to replace at least half the ketchup in the sauce with no-salt added tomato sauce, as the sauce was too salty. Also, I replaced the special K with raisin bran sans raisins (as raisin bran was on sale and special K was not). Now the remaining 1/4 of a box has two scoops of raisins in it--breakfast promises to be a very healthy meal this week.

I served it with rice made with veggie sauce.

1 comment:

Robin said...

THanks! The soup mix would have salt, too, but I don't know what you would substitute for that. Did you use salt-free tomato sauce? Eliminating the ketchup also removes a lot of sugar. I'm eager to try it!