Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Our 200th! Cabbage Chez Panisse

Suzanne and I collaborated on this one for last night's dinner, courtesy of the book Jody gave me. We both independently thought of cloves as a worthy addition; the allspice was a substitute for that brainstorm. I made it in my biggest skillet.

Thinly slice an onion and sautee it in roasted almond oil for 3 - 5 min.
Core and thinly slice a head of red cabbage and add it to the pan. Add 2 T. sherry vinegar, 1/2 cup water, pepper (& salt) if desired and cook covered for 20 min. Core and thinly slice an apple; add it to the pan and cook for 5 more min. We also added 3 ground allspice. Michael suggested topping with roasted sesame seeds.

The tastes were pretty subtle. We may have had a cabbage head bigger than the one intended for the recipe. I thought it was a nice treatment of the cabbage. There's another recipe for slaw in the book using roughly the same ingredients that I'd like to try.

No comments: