Saturday, April 16, 2011

Irish (Potato) Nachos

Sometimes I make myself nachos for dinner. I feel kinda bad about this, because are chips really a meal? Not so much. But can potatoes and beans be a meal? Indeed!

Tonight, Potato Nachos came to the rescue for the funky potatoes in my fridge, the old beans in my freezer, and myself, a very hungry lady. I based them off of this recipe. Don't be thrown off by the website--the blinking graphics, the Suzy (ha) Homemaker language and the Potato Council propaganda belie the tastiness of the dish. This would make a fabulous dish for football watching, Cinco de Mayo celebrating, and comfort eating. The version below should serve two (for me, it served one). Basically, you bake some spicy potato wedges, top with nacho fixins, melt it all together.

Preheat oven to 425.
Scrub 2 baking potatoes (I have no idea what kind I used) and cut into thin wedges.
Place potatoes in a casserole dish or rimmed baking sheet.
Coat with 1-2 capfuls of EVOO.
Toss in 2 cloves garlic (minced) and 1/2 onion (sliced).
Season with chili powder, cumin, black pepper, oregano, and salt.
Bake for 25-30 min until soft on the inside and, if you're lucky, crisp on the outside. Stir occasionally.
Top with a handful of black beans, ~1/2 can of tomatoes (or 1 diced tomato), 1 sliced jalapeno, and cheese (I used cheddar and pepper jack). Green onions, olives are optional.
Place back into oven for 5 min or until the cheese is melted.
Serve with cilantro and hot sauce.

For everybody?
 No, just for you:
(pictured above with kale.  Kale out of that glorious, <$4, 2lb bag of kale I get from Walmart.)

No comments: