Sunday, June 12, 2011

Cheesy Biscuits

Michael and I made an AMAZING breakfast today. At first we were just going to have eggs, but we didn't have bread with which to make toast. So, I decided to make biscuits to go with the eggs. I'd had my eye on this recipe for Cheddar Biscuits on the back of my King Arthur white whole wheat flour bag for quite some time. This seemed like an opportune time to try it out. I left out the sausage (obviously) and opted for the buttermilk. I also omitted the pizza dough flavor (what does that even mean?) The finished product:

They were SO good! Cheesy and soft. I liked the effect of using diced rather than grated cheddar--you get these little bursts of flavor. Plus, the bits of cheese on the edges and bottom of the biscuits get nice and toasty. I can't think of any way to improve them. I could see myself throwing in some coarse ground black pepper or using blue cheese instead of cheddar, or maybe adding some chives.

By the time we had the biscuits and eggs, we thought we may as well do some grits, too. The finished meal included biscuits, veggie sausage patties, fried eggs, and blue cheese grits (Michael's creation--fabulous!) We both made little sandwiches with the sausages, eggs, and biscuits. A 5-star breakfast if I may say so myself!

2 comments:

Robin said...

Looks like the bird on the plate is interested in the grits. Or maybe the grits are really a speech balloon as in a comic. I had a biscuit the next day. Really great texture - - good spring to it, but dense.

Jody said...

Oh my god .. you are living in a domestic dream.
I miss you! I had a frozen waffle for breakfast this morning. Frozen, as I removed it from a box and didn't even bother toast it. It was okay.