Saturday, February 22, 2014

Pancakes! Because you deserve them!

One of you asked for The Pancake Recipe. Alas there isn't a recipe, but there are guidelines: 1. I use roasted almond oil on the griddle and in the recipe for a buttery flavor. The real thing in equal proportion would be tasty. 2. I set my griddle at near the max of 400 degrees. Maybe 375. The batter should sizzle when it hits. You can heat up syrup in the microwave. 3. For a lively batter that makes those crispy bubble craters, I think you want liquids and dry ingredients in a proportion of about 7 to 6. (I am working from a generous 2-person batter of about 1 3/4 c. liquid and 1 1/2 c. dry ingredients.) The goal is to have a solution like a slightly-thick soup that will drool off the spoon - - not as thick as a plop but with more conviction than a straight pour. Maybe thicker than V-8 and similar to thawed orange juice concentrate. I think some flours absorb more liquid than others, so exact measurement is beyond me. 4. Flour: King Arthur whole wheat. Very sweet. You can add in some ground flax seed, although this may just be an add-on to the dry side since it probably doesn't absorb much liquid. For 1 1/2 c flour I use 2 t. baking powder and 1 t. salt. Mix dry ingredients in a 4 c. container. 5: liquid: 1 c milk, 1/2 c. eggbeaters (2 eggs), and 1/4 c. oil. Mix in a small measuring vehicle. Then stir into the flour. 6. Add fruit. Using frozen blueberries may produce a more liquid batter as they thaw. Observe consistency and adjust accordingly. 7. Pour onto hot griddle and prepare to stand around for a while. A tasty beverage might be someone else's post.

Update (by S.): I added 2T of sugar to the batter to make it sweeter. I think a griddle is the best way to go, but since I don't have one, I use my LeCruiset skillet on a setting of 5 (out of 10) and cook the things in butter... still have to watch it carefully to make sure they don't burn.

No comments: