Thursday, March 13, 2014

Brussels Sprouts Salad

Tried something new yesterday! Inspired by a delicious brunch at Liv2Eat and some 101cookbooks posts, I finally made a raw brussel sprout salad. It turned out really nicely- similar to a cole slaw, but a little tangier and more substantial. One of the things that made me hesitate about making this dish for so long (aside from the obvious risk of farts) was that I thought you could only make this if you had super fresh, pristine, farmer's market brussel sprouts. Not true. Yes, it would probably be better if you had such creatures - better ingredients, better... Well, you know. The salad turned out really nicely, though, with Shoppers' finest. If you can't decide whether that's a compliment to Shoppers' or a backhanded diss, don't worry, neither can I.


Wash about 1.5 lbs brussel sprouts and cut off their stems
Shred finely - I used the 2mm blade on my food processor
Make the dressing: whisk together 3T lemon juice, 3T evoo, 3T buttermilk, 1/4 t salt, black and white pepper, thyme, 1/4c romano cheese.
Pour the dressing over top and knead a little.
Toast about 1.5 cups slivered almonds or hazelnuts
Stir together the sprouts, almonds, and a handful of craisins
Toss it all together.

In the dressing, you can manipulate the liquid ingredients depending on your tastes... I might favor more buttermilk and less evoo.

Enjoy!




1 comment:

Robin said...

Reeves thought the dressing inadequate. I topped the next night's serving with a big dollop of guacamole. That worked.