Friday, February 10, 2017

Banana Bread

We had three ripe bananas and a baby who prefers to feed himself.  Reeves does little pork-and-cream- cheese-on-toast canapes for him.  I decided to do banana bread.  I started with a recipe from the NYT cooking app (free!) and altered it with the goal of adding some tartness to smooth out the banana taste and making it a little more healthy.  I did almost all of the mixing in the blender.
First, I ground up 1/4 c. salted roasted pecans and 1/4 c. raisins.  Then I added and mixed until smooth the non-dry recipe ingredients:  the 3 bananas, an egg, 1/4 c. roasted almond oil, 1/4 c. yogurt, 1 1/2 t. vanilla, 1/3 c honey. Separately I mixed 1 1/4 c. whole wheat flour and 2 t. baking powder, then I stirred that into the blender.  I poured the mixture into a pan with parchment paper lining and baked it for 45 min. at a 350 oven.  Our taster had several slices, some plain and some with almond butter.  He jumped up and down, shouted, learned the word "Mmmm!!!", and smiled widely.  I can't imagine a more enthusiastic reception.

No comments: