Monday, July 9, 2018

BISCOTTI!
I needed to memorialize the biscotti recipe that I thought I knew by heart.  It's amazing how many ingredients and steps fall by the wayside with recipies that you "thought you knew by heart."  So I went back to Julia Child's The Way to Cook, p. 493, which I've inscribed as given to me by Janet for Christmas, 2000.  Here's enough text to put it back in my memory:
In a 2 c. measure, mix 3/4 c white and 3/4 c brown sugar (too much for me, and even for Reeves), 1 t. vanilla, 2 eggs, 1/3 c almond oil, and 2 T. water (or coffee, or grand marnier).
In a big bowl, mix 2 1/2 c flour (or use 1/2 c flax and 2 c. flour), 1 t. salt, 1 t cardamom, 2 t. cinnamon, 2 t. baking powder, and 2 c. toasted almonds.
Add liquid to dry.  Add more water if necessary.  Don't  beat any more than you have to.
Spread mixture on parchment-covered cookie sheet.  Bake at 325 for 20 minutes.  Cut, then bake again at 300 convection.

No comments: