Saturday, February 27, 2021

baba ganoush take-off

 On Jody's rec I got a Vitamix which arrived today.  I made my usual lunch smoothie, which had a nice little foam topping.  Then I made this:

  • roasted eggplant, halved and scored, roasted at 350 for 30 min
  • Onion, same as above
  • 3 garlic cloves put in for the last 5 min

Meanwhile I roasted 1 c unhulled sesame seeds over medium heat on a skillet, 5 min.  And while doing that, I put juice of 2 lemons and 1 t. cumin and the garlic in the Vitamix for a spin.  Then added 3 T olive oil, then the sesame seeds.  They were pretty stubborn, even after I added the onion and the eggplant.  It took a lot of tamping, and I think that hulled seeds would have produced a much smoother blend, much more quickly.  And it would have come out of the Vitamix a lot more readily.  Next time I will try adding vinegar, but I think it would take a lot of vinegar to loosen the mix up.  And the tahini recipes all say to add water, so I should try that too.

I'm having it on top of black sesame crackers.  Definitely rough-looking, and rather gritty, but I do think that unhulled sesame seeds are nutritious, and it tasted good.

No comments: