Friday, December 12, 2008

Tempting Tempeh

A while back I mentioned making tempeh and Suzanne asked for the recipe. Well I used a 101 cookbooks recipe, pretty much exactly. Here's the link:
I let the tempeh marinate for 2+ days, and flipped the pieces once, so they were totally saturated in the marinade. I also cooked the tempeh in a pan on medium high heat. I called it done once the marinade started to caramelize a little on the surface of the tempeh. It was sweet, it was salty, it was spicy, it was as close to heaven as you are going to get with fermented soy beans.

1 comment:

Robin said...

My first qu: what the hell is tempeh anyway. There's a "meaty" article on Wikipedia - - talks about how the Rhizopus oligosporus fungus used in fermentation reduces the oligosaccharides which are associated with gas and indigestion. (I passed up the temptation to follow the link for "indigestion.") So the think I dimly understand is that it's like tofu but has more whole soybean in it.
Comment: the marinade looks a lot like the homemade teriyaki I use for salmon, except it omits the lime zest, lime juice and ginger.
Resolution: Stop being afraid to buy tempeh, try to remember what it is, and make the recipe. Thanks for the inspiration! Maybe we can make it at home?
Love,
Mom