Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Fat free rice pudding!

I was about to call this "healthy rice pudding," but then I remembered the huge amounts of sugar. At least this uses brown rice and skim milk (and is, therefore, Dad-appropriate!). I'd like to play around with the proportions a little more and, let's not kid ourselves here, I think it'd be much better with whole milk. Maybe less sugar, too. This is a good start, though. I combined the techniques/proportions from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker version with the spices from the Taste Divine version.
Mix 2.5c cooked brown rice (1c dry + 2.5c water) with 1.5c(?) milk and .5c brown sugar.
Add 1t vanilla, 1/2t coriander, and 1 bay leaf.
Mix and set cook for 3h on low.
After 1.5h, stir in 1/3c raisins and 1/2c slivered almonds.
Serve hot or cold.
I made this in the anticipation of a visit by a friend, but turns out she can't be here--looks like I'm gonna have to eat it all my self!

No comments: