Sunday, October 25, 2009

Farm Day!

Oliver, Amy and I went to the annual farm day at the farm (Terra Firma) who runs our CSA. It is located about an hour away in Winters California, which is the next valley in from Napa. It was a really fun day! We brought a picnic which we ate in their walnut orchard, while listening to blue grass. The picnic featured farmbox food, which had made the journey from Winters to Oakland and then back to Winters again (and then technically back to Oakland one more time, in my belly). They farm was lovely. Its all organic, and it smelled like freshness and clean dirt. There was such an abundance of food! Row after row of chard, turnips, beets ... an onion patch ... multiple orchards. We got a pumpkin and even bought more produce. I thus freaked out a little tonight when I realized how much produce was in the fridge and I cooked enough food for a small army. Seriously, I spent like three hours cooking tonight and I am happily stuffed!

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

that sounds lovely!!
we couldn't go to our farm's event this year and I was so bummed out =( We've switched our pickup location from school to a farmer's market, so now instead of getting 8 surprise vegetables, we get to pick them all out ourselves! I'm still trying to be adventurous and get one thing I'm not familiar with a week.