Sunday, December 12, 2010

Shepherdess Pie

I tried this vegetarian take on shepherd's pie this week, motivated by a purchase of two large sacks of potatoes (they were on sale!) I can't decide how I feel about it--it tasted good and lasted a long time, but it also took forever to make. I could see myself making the filling alone and having it over rice.

I based my efforts on a recipe from a delightful website called "Netmums." The site is intended for "mums". I am not a mum by virtue of both nationality and parity, but enjoyed the site nonetheless. My search revealed that shepherdess pie is pretty popular amongst the British. Recipes vary considerably but typically consist of a thick veggie + bean stew topped with a layer of potato or sweet potato.

Cook 3/4c lentils in 1.5c veggie stock (takes ~30 min.)
Meanwhile, saute 1 chopt onion, 2 sliced celery stalks, 2 sliced carrots, 1 chopt jalapeno, and 1/2 package mushrooms in EVOO.
If you have one, use a large, oven-safe saute pan.
Add 1T tomato paste and simmer for a few more minutes.
Add 14 oz can of crushed tomatoes and herbs to taste, then bring to a simmer. I used parsley, thyme, oregano, and rosemary. (Fun fact: the British call crushed tomatoes [tomahtoes] "passata.")
Add 1c frozen corn and the cooked lentils.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Allow this concoction to simmer while you mash the 'taters.

Peel and dice ~8 medium potatoes, depending on the size of your pan and your appetite for potatoes (or, in my case, your desire to clean out the fridge.)
Cook by placing potatoes in tupperware in 1/2" water and microwaving for ~10 minutes or until soft.
Mash potatoes with 1/2c buttermilk, 1/4t white pepper, and 1/2t salt.

Spread potatoes on top of the stew if there's room in the pan and if your pan is oven-safe. If not, transfer the stew to a casserole dish and then top with taters. Top with grated cheddar (optional.)

Bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees or place under the broiler to brown the top.

Mom, I bet Dad would love this--it's hearty and you could readily omit the oil, buttermilk, and cheese.

The finished product:

Om nom nom.

O wait, what's that you ask? What has Dan been up to lately? Well, last week, he assisted me in finishing my paper by sitting on my draft and swatting me whenever I tried to access it. See below:

1 comment:

Robin said...

He is one beautiful cat. Definitely thinking deep thoughts in this photo.