Monday, September 2, 2019

salsa verde chicken enchiladas

I gave this recipe a try because I have a lot of tomatillos - with a little trepidation, since I've struggled with enchiladas in the past. It turned out great!! I made a few modifications, and will re-write the recipe here since you have to follow a handful of links in the original to see all the text.  Of note, the shredded chicken could be used for all kinds of other stuff - tacos, nachos. I did cut it in half, since this is the amount that was needed for the enchilada recipe, but could easily be scaled.

Slow cooker shredded chicken (see blog linked above for a stove-top version)

Put the following ingredients in the slow cooker for 4-6 hours on low (I did 6, which was perfect, though my slow cooker runs a little cool):
  • 1.5 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs (organic ones surprisingly affordable at Whole Foods)
  • small onion, peeled and sliced
     2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
    1 small bay leaf
     1/2 tsp salt
    3/4t cumin
    1/4t black pepper
    chicken stock (or water) - enough to just barely cover chicken  
     
Once chicken is done cooking, remove it to a cutting board and allow it to cool. If you have a cat, put a collander or something over it (be prepared). Then, shred it using 2 forks. In the meantime, take the cover off the slow cooker and turn it up to high to allow some of the liquid to evaporate. Depending on what recipe you are using the chicken for, you could boil some off on the stove. Extra moisture is good for enchiladas, so I did the slow cooker method.

Make salsa verde

Enchiladas verdes -serves 4
Preheat oven to 350
Warm up 1.5 cups salsa verde in a pan on the stove (don't boil) - reserve 1/2 cup (so, need a total of 2 cups salsa verde for this recipe)
Add 1/2 cup sour cream and stir (nb: left over sour-cream based dip works too)
Add 2 cups cooked shredded chicken (see above)  and stir
Stir in 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or jack cheese (1.5 cups cheese total needed for recipe)
Remove from heat
Pour reserved 1/2 cup salsa into a pan - I used a routine-sized rectangular casserole dish (slightly smaller would be optimal)
Spoon 1/3 c chicken/salsa/sour cream mixture into a corn tortilla (taco sized) - need about 12 for this recipe (flour would work too)
place it, seam side down, in the pan.  Repeat until pan is full. You want the individual enchiladas to sort of hold each other up - they should be tucked in pretty snug. I had a little extra room, so I did some rolled but empty tortillas.
Pour remaining salsa over the top.
Sprinkle 1 cup cheese on top - I used cheddar and mozzerella (I think jack would be better than mozz), but I didn't have it)
 Cover with foil and bake for 15-25 minutes (goal is to warm everything through - I did 25 bc mine had been in the fridge for a few hours after prep)
Remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes or so to melt the cheese.

Yum!

No comments: