Thursday, September 19, 2019

vegetarian tacos, or delicata squash for haters

Spoiler alert: there is only one hater, M. I think everyone else I know likes delicata squash, bc it is awesome.

This recipe was adapted from my CSA, Harmony Valley Farm, newsletter.

I make beans in my usual way - pinto beans, cooked in stock (veggie or chicken) with onion, garlic, tomato paste, seasonings (cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, dried oregano, and fresh cilantro).

For the veggies:
Thinly slice 1 medium red onion
Seed and thinly slice 1-2 delicata squash
Slice 2 poblano peppers
Toss the above with 3-4T vegetable oil, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, salt, and 2t brown sugar.
Roast at 425 for about 20 minutes, or until soft.

Serve with corn or flour soft tacos and any or all of: rice, fresh tomatoes, more cilantro, cheddar cheese, and jalapeno quick pickles (thinly sliced jalapenos barely covered with white vinegar and some salt).

M repeatedly stated "if you want me to eat delicata squash, this is the way to do it." The baby even ate some of the rice and beans. Success.

No comments: