Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Kale Quest Encounters a Contradiction

Reeves doesn't like kale.

Tonight I am trying kale with caramelized onions and balsamic vinegar.
I also bought purple-ish kale at Whole Foods today, on the clerk's recommendation that it was less bitter. He said stay away from dinosaur kale, which he finds very bitter. Jody, didn't you once use dinosaur kale?
Of course it's possible that purple kale has no lutein or zeazanthin.

The clipping for caramelized onions has been sitting in the drawer under the microwave for a long time. You sweat them - - 2 lbs worth- - with 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp sugar in a bowl, tossed, for 10 minutes. Then, leaving the drippings in the bowl, you saute them on medium high until the first hint of browning. Then you add back the liquid, turn the heat to low, and cook them, covered, for an hour. Very sweet!

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

Sounds delicious! I love anything with caramelized onion.

Tonight I made the Moorish chick pea stew with Kale and it turned out really nicely. All the spices somewhat mask the kale flavor and cooking it in the simmering stock really softens it up. Maybe that would appeal to Dad?

Robin said...

Will do! Thanks!

Jody said...

I will try your carmelized onion recipe! I tried to make carmelized onions for Suzanne's wedding shower but they didn't turn out to well. I like dinosaur kale. Just sauteed. But if its old, its no good. I repeat my sentiment that you are probably going to be getting a lot of old Kale in the stores right now.

Suzanne said...

Although kale is finally in season in this area!