Monday, November 16, 2009

Broccoli Cheddar Soup


Just tried this fabulous recipe for Broccoli Cheddar Soup from 101 Cookbooks. I normally don't like Broccoli Cheddar Soup, but I made this recipe anyhow (I know, the decision didn't make sense to me either.) Perhaps it speaks to my faith in that blog. Anyhow, it was delicious! In the past I've only tried canned broccoli cheddar soup, in which the broccoli is usually very unfresh, or Highland Lodge b.c. soup, which is about 50% cheese, giving it the flavor and consistency of fondue. I did everything almost the same as the recipe, but I just had it with bread instead of making croutons. Also, the directions about the cheese are a little confusing--it's hard to tell whether the recipe calls for 2/3 c cheese total or 2/3 + cheese for garnish. I went in betweensies and used 1/2 c cheese. With so little cheese, it's advisable to use a very sharp cheddar. I used some Cabot that has aged in my fridge. Most of the body comes from potato, while the cheese provides the flavor. Also, I chopped up the broccoli stems (after peeling off the toughest part of their skins) and added them with the garlic. I garnished it with olive oil, mustard (which I forgot to mix in earlier), and parsley.

3 comments:

Robin said...

Mmm. With a potato base. The photo is extremely nice. This week Reeves was away Tues and Wed. I ate leftover rice and parship/pear/yogurt puree - - - both nights. So I am inspired by your culinary energy even when you are your only customer.

Jody said...

yum!! I also think I hate brocolli cheddar soup, but probably only because I've had bad versions. I'm making the 101 cookbooks cabbage and bean soup tomorrow. This blog is such a 101 cookbooks love fest! I was talking to Oliver and looking up the recipe at the same time, and instead of googling 101 cookbooks I googled Heidi and all these pictures of hot chics in bikinis popped up! What is it about that name???

Suzanne said...

I know... I was thinking of writing her fan mail and then figured it'd be silly. Tell me how the cabbage and bean soup is!!