Saturday, November 28, 2009

Cranberry Salsa

3/8 c. sugar mixed with 1/4 c. orange juice and stirred in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. REmove from heat and mix in 2 c. cranberries, coarsely chopt. Cool to room temp.

Meanwhile prepare 1 red bell & 1 jalapeno pepper, charred and skinned and minced.

Put cooled cranberries in a large bowl. Mix in minced peppers, 1/4 c. chopped, toasted hazelnuts or chopped slivered, roasted almonds and 2 T. grated orange peel. Can refrigerate for a day. Before serving, add 1/3 c. chopped fresh cilantro.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Laura Kushner, who manages the bedlam in the clinic front office, said she'd made something like this with cointreau! I hope she'll post a comment. I think one could reduce the amount of sugar (since I think cointreau is mostly sugar anyway!). She also gave me a butternut squash/garbanzo bean/curry/yogurt recipe that I'm going to try & then post.